About the Program
PLEASE NOTE: The Heritage Institute courses receive Continuing Education Quarter Credits awarded by Antioch University Seattle at the 400 and 500 levels. Call 800.445.1305 or log onto The Heritage Institute’s website policies page for more information.
- REGISTRATION FORM/Cost & Assignment Summaries
- Cancellation & Liability RELEASE FORM 1
- Heritage RELEASE FORM 2
- SYLLABUS (1st week; syllabi for add'l weeks are similar)
- Course EVALUATION FORM - optional
- PACKING IDEAS
- Pack light site: onebag.com
- "Before you go" list
- CDC TRAVEL HEALTH - Guatemala
- Stacey's Travel Photos with blog and travelogue links
- Academia de Español Antigüeña in Antigua
- Escuela Cooperativa in San Pedro La Laguna, Atitlán
- Heritage Institute/Antioch University Seattle
- Dial-A-Verb with Online Verb Conjugator Link
- Online Translator
- Moon Guatemala on Amazon.com
- Rough Guide Guatemala on Amazon.com
- Langenscheidt Spanish/English Dictionary (my favorite) on Amazon.com
- Paradise in Ashes on Amazon.com
- I, Rigoberta Menchu on Amazon.com
- Culture Smart! Guatemala on Amazon.com (customs and etiquette)
- Addall.com - great used book search engine
- Beca Project (nonprofit)
- Live & Learn in Latin America
I watched a little more basketball, volunteered at the disability program a bit more, and hiked way up a steep hill (even though no less than 5 people told me it was just around the next corner) to watch some “futbol” (PHOTO 3).
After that I walked back into town and caught a ride in the back of a pickup to San Juan, a neighboring town; I wasn’t hitch hiking, the pickups run every 10 minutes or so both ways and the standard fare is 2 quetzales or about 16 cents. PHOTO 4 is the cemetery in San Juan and PHOTO 5 was taken outside a fabric store. There are also several women’s weaving cooperatives and a cheese “factory”.
This evening the school offered salsa lessons with Luis, one of the instructors at the school (PHOTOS 6, 7 (Jodie), and 8 (Rosie).We also met at a local restaurant for dinner or dessert - another full day. HAPPY TRAILS!