About the Program
PLEASE NOTE: The Heritage Institute courses receive Continuing Education Quarter Credits awarded by Antioch University Seattle at the 400 and 500 levels. Call 800.445.1305 or log onto The Heritage Institute’s website policies page for more information.
- REGISTRATION FORM/Cost & Assignment Summaries
- Cancellation & Liability RELEASE FORM 1
- Heritage RELEASE FORM 2
- SYLLABUS (1st week; syllabi for add'l weeks are similar)
- Course EVALUATION FORM - optional
- PACKING IDEAS
- Pack light site: onebag.com
- "Before you go" list
- CDC TRAVEL HEALTH - Guatemala
- Stacey's Travel Photos with blog and travelogue links
- Academia de Español Antigüeña in Antigua
- Escuela Cooperativa in San Pedro La Laguna, Atitlán
- Heritage Institute/Antioch University Seattle
- Dial-A-Verb with Online Verb Conjugator Link
- Online Translator
- Moon Guatemala on Amazon.com
- Rough Guide Guatemala on Amazon.com
- Langenscheidt Spanish/English Dictionary (my favorite) on Amazon.com
- Paradise in Ashes on Amazon.com
- I, Rigoberta Menchu on Amazon.com
- Culture Smart! Guatemala on Amazon.com (customs and etiquette)
- Addall.com - great used book search engine
- Beca Project (nonprofit)
- Live & Learn in Latin America
While the population in Antigua is largely Catholic, in San Pedro it’s split between Catholic and Evangelist (PHOTO 4: “Only Jesus can change your life”).
Our days are full of new experiences, like the dog that strolled into the restaurant this evening and raised a leg on Sam, eating fish served with eyes, teeth, and fins intact, and the tuktuk (golf cart taxi) ride that Michon and I shared with the sweet old lady in PHOTO 5; the cost of the photo was her fare.
There are also threads that tie all families and all countries together, like the silly antics of the 3-year-old in Lorenzo’s family (Rosie and Sam’s hosts), Jullisa’s missing teeth and avoidance of vegetables, and coaches and families cheering on their teams. HAPPY TRAILS!